Thursday, July 2, 2009

Uncanny X-Men #513 Cover Step by Step 3 - Finished pencils










At this point, the drawings were all solid so I went in and spotted blacks and made everything clear for inks.

So I finished off on the left side, Weapon Omega.

Then the Dark Queen, Emma Frost. I've been drawing characters with black costumes for so long, it's always fun to do, but I still try to push myself and make them read even better. I've been doing grey patterns in the black for a long time (these are reflective lights that read as grey on the blacks) that I learned from Michael Golden. Since I've been on Uncanny I changed doing the MG feathering in these reflective greys to a combination of straight lines that blend with cross hatching in to the blacks that Rachel does REALLY well and looks much more natural to my eye.

Finally, cleaned up Charlie and Namor. The final scan is a cleaned up version.

Next ... the inks!

TD

6 comments:

  1. I love this cover. :D Hey Mr. Dodson, I've picked UNCANNY 513, I was wondering why did you chose to draw Venom so differently from his usual self. I've seen the pencils to #514 too. The X-Ladies look great. Especially Psylocke and Dazzler. I mean, I think that's Dazzler, isn't it? http://comicbookresources.com/news/preview2.php?image=previews/marvelcmics/uncannyxmen/xposition/UNCX514002_150p.jpg

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wrong link. This one: http://comicbookresources.com/news/preview2.php?image=previews/marvelcomics/uncannyxmen/xposition/UNCX514002_150p.jpg

    ReplyDelete
  4. RE-Venom- Just trying to figure how to make him look cool.

    RE-X-Ladies- L-R-Dani Moonstar, Domino, Mindee Cuckoo( in her Dark Queen Emma meets Teen X-Men outfit), Psylocke

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderfull Terry you rocks at moment i hope to see this book in Brazil big hug ^^.Jonas^^.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great cover, Terry! The 514 preview pages look awesome.

    Any chance you could post a sketch of Psylocke in her new costume??

    ReplyDelete