Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Defenders 4 Cover - Start to Finish





Here's a little step by step look at process behind the cover of Defenders # 4 featuring Dr. Strange and a friend..

Step 1 is a little sketch that I send to Marvel for approval - a 5 x 7" marker drawing done in my sketchbook then colored in Photoshop CS3

Step 2 are my pencils drawn in HB Lead on 11 x 17 " Bristol Board

Step 3 Rachel's inks done over the top of my pencils using a #2 Brush and FW Acrylic Ink.

Step 4 art is scanned in and colored in Photoshop with a Wacom Intuos Graphics Tablet.

Step 5 Final pass at coloring after notes from Marvel.

Let me know if you have any questions!


TD

2 comments:

  1. Very cool. I would have bet good money that the depiction of the spell Dr. Strange is casting was created digitally. Really like that it is part of the drawing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, a lot of time it's just easier to have it in the drawing - if I decide to change it to all digital I already have a "bearing" to go off of.

    ReplyDelete