Saturday, August 23, 2014

X-MEN #18 Step by Step PART TWO Colors

How we made the cover to X-Men #18 (out now from Marvel Comics by Marc Guggenheim and Dexter Soy).

And so the colors…

I use  Photoshop CS3 and Wacom Cintiq 13HD to color with.


FLATS

The first stage of coloring is to have the art "flatted".

Flatting allows me to choose an area to color at any point throughout the coloring process.

At this stage I go and adjust the colors to their medium value or imprimatura - I use this as the starting point.


Initial rough on color on Jubilee


Start adding colors to other characters and adjust the background colors.
  

Detailing Jubilee and Rachel.



When I'm comfortable with the colors I go in and adjust the lineart - from black to whatever is the appropriate color I want it to be.


The final colors.


The actual comic in print.

You can find this comic at your local comic book retailer


And digitally at 



TD

1 comment: