Tuesday, March 29, 2016

Batman #50 Variant Cover Step by Step Part 2 Color


Here's a look at how we made the cover to Batman #50 guest starring Supergirl - this time dealing with the colors!

This was done for Midtown Comics and my DC editor was Mark Chiarello!

The book is out in stores now.



Flats

The first stage of color is called flats - flatting allows me to choose an area to color at any point throughout the coloring process.

Generally, I hire someone to do this for me - a "flatter".

At this stage I go and adjust the colors to their medium value or imprimatura - I use this as the starting point for the piece. 




I've already colored the adding Superman cover on the  left so I knew to add some more clouds and to grab some colors from that cover.


Initial color rough in

I colored this on my Cintiq 13 HD using Photoshop CS3 after I scanned the original line art.

I use a Pencil to rough in at 100% of color then use lower % to add lighter and darker values.


Detail


Next level of rendering, using the pencil tool plus the gradient tool to smooth out anything that looks odd.

 Use a Custom "Cloud" brush to rough in the background. Plus the Gradient tool to break up some of the flatter areas. 


Detail


Begin converting Lineart to Color.


Detail



Just about done...

Add some "glow" to the moon and clouds with the Gradient tool.


Here's a detail look at the colored line art.


Final colors.


The Printed cover.

TD




No comments:

Post a Comment