Wednesday, June 29, 2016

Star Wars #20 Cover "Sandtrooper" Step by Step

Here's a look at how we made the Sandtroopers Variant for the Mile High Comics Star Wars #20 cover.




The cover concepts I sent into Marvel Comics Editors Heather Antos and Jordan White and Lucasfilm for approval.

Roughs were drawn at 2" x 3" in my sketchbook using Warm Grey Copics then colored in Photoshop CS3.


I've alway loved these guys in Star Wars so it was a real treat to draw a cover with them!


PENCILS

Worked really fast on this one...

Wasn't happy with the gun going off screen but I really wanted it to be the big gun the main trooper carries and it is REALLY long...

so, I made it work!



Drawn in Light Blue and HB lead on 12" x 18" Bristol Board .






INKS

I adjusted the height of the thigh pads digitally...


Rachel Dosdson inks over my pencils with a Windsor Newton Series 7 Kolinsky Sable #2 Brush and Higgins Black Magic Ink.


FLATS

The first stage of color is called flats - flatting allows me to choose an area to color at any point throughout the coloring process.



Not much mystery what I was going to do here so quick stage...

COLOR


Initial color rough in - using the main light source and the reflective source to form the trooper...


I colored this on my Cintiq 22 HD using Photoshop CS3 .


Starting to add detail to backgrounds....




Used a custom "cloud" brush for the clouds...


Adding darker values to Trooper to really establish him in space.


Also started rendering the shoulder pad and adding a secondary light value to the white areas.


Began converting line art to colors...


which is really effective on the suns and the detail on the white armor...



All polished and ready for show....

almost, something missing...


Dirt!

Used my custom "cloud" brush to add the dirt...



FINAL 

And the printed cover...

Very happy with how this turned out. 

It's interesting with a lot of my work now, I know how it looks in color in my head so sometimes the line art isn't really impressive because I leave things for the color stage...

Working on a series of these - so another one next month!

TD

No comments:

Post a Comment