Monday, August 29, 2016

Harley Quinn #1 Variant Cover Step by Step Part 3 Color

How we made the new Harley Quinn #1 cover.



From DC Comics and Midtown Comics!

And now for the COLOR STAGE


FLATS

The first stage of color is called flats - flatting allows me to choose an area to color at any point throughout the coloring process.



Flats were done by Gilly Renk.



Detail



Initial Rough In

I colored this on my Cintiq 22 HD using Photoshop CS3 .


Detail

I did a lot of coloring at this stage - adding the  lights and darks on all areas of the art.

Adjusting the sky to a more DC Animated look I liked on my original Harley Run.

Used the Pencil tool at this point.


Intermediate Stage

Cleaned and smooth flesh using the Brush tool at low % and and then Lassoing and using the Gradient.



Photoshop Set Up

and 

Hair Reference



Coloring Harley's Hair 




I copied the hair I wanted to color and then used Hue/Saturation to change the blonde to pink and blue and merged layer down.


Coloring Line Art

At this point I like to color the line art... 


Line Art Detail

I begin coloring the Hair and Flesh Line Art


Then convert areas being hit by highlights.


Harley's hair properly colored... variations in the pink and blonde "lines"...


Final

Punched up/brightened Harley's red and WHITENED her skin a bit for the final.


More Detailed

Line Art on Costume and Background element is colored.


Super Detail!

And that's it!

TD



Part One


Part Two


No comments:

Post a Comment