Wednesday, August 3, 2016

Star Wars 21 Cover Step by Step Part 2 Color

Part 2 of how I made the Star Wars #21 Mile High Comics Tie Fighter Pilot Variant...


Get it here from MILE HIGH COMICS

Ok, here we go...


FLATS

The first stage of color is called flats - flatting allows me to choose an area to color at any point throughout the coloring process.

Generally, I hire someone to do this for me - a "flatter".

At this stage I go and adjust the colors to their medium value or imprimatura - I use this as the starting point for the piece. - the first part of coloring. 

I had to work quick on this one so jumped right in...


Detail


INITIAL COLORS

I colored this on my Cintiq 22 HD using Photoshop CS3 after I scanned the original line art.

Used a big Pencil to rough in at 100% of color then used lower % to work to add lighter and darker values. AND the Gradient tool to break up the flat background.



Detail

Notice the red lasers? My editor, Heather, did :-)


Work in Progress Screen Shot


REFINING COLORS

Using both the Pencil tool at various %'s and some Gradients to smooth out.


Detail

Mostly just big shapes with the Pencil though


COLORING LINEART

Converting Lineart to Color.



FINAL COLORS

Adding Reflective color - either using my Pencil or Lassoing and Gradient.

General cleanup and smoothing using % low of Pencil and Gradient...

And done...

See Part 1 


TD

No comments:

Post a Comment