Saturday, January 14, 2017

Black Bolt Inhumans Vs X-Men #1 Cover Step by Step Part 1 Pencils



Inhumans Vs X-Men #1 Variant Covers featuring Black Bolt.

By Rachel Dodson and Me.

Out now from Marvel Comics.



COVER SKETCH

The cover concepts I sent into Marvel Comics Editors Wil Moss and Daniel Ketchum for approval.

Roughs were drawn at 2" x 3" in my sketchbook using Warm Grey Copics then colored in Photoshop CS3.


Initial PENCILS

Drawn in Light Blue and HB lead on 12" x 18" Bristol Board 

At this point just quickly roughed in the drawing making sure the composition still help.

I printed out my rough in light blue on the paper to ensure the composition was positioned correctly.


So I decided from the "get go" to slightly twist Black Bolt's body to the right to avoid the static nature of the one in the sketch.


So because of that, I put myself in a position to be able to do just about anything with the legs.


Is he flying?


Is he landing? 


Is he standing?


Kinda a little bit of all!


So, this version of Black Bolt has some design tweaks that I had to keep reminding myself of.


Nailing down face.


Fading out the rendering on the legs like he is emerging from fog.


Just slight tweaks to his face


Final rendering.


Angry


Angrier! Perfect!


FINAL PENCILS

Done and off to Rachel Dodson!

Next time in Part 2,


TD


No comments:

Post a Comment